FSSAI was founded under the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006 to set science-based standards for food articles and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import in order to ensure the availability of wholesome and safe food for human consumption. Apart from this, the FSSAI's primary goals are as follows:
· To safeguard and promote public health by regulating and supervising food safety.
· To raise public knowledge about food safety and standards.
· Contribute to the creation of international technical standards for food, sanitation, and phytosanitary purposes.
· To establish procedures and criteria for laboratory accreditation and notification of accredited laboratories.
· To provide training to persons who are active or are planning to become involved in the food industry, etc.
· Similarly, FSSAI was created to serve a variety of food and public health goals.